August 05, 2017

Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner



Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner


Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner

I love using linen on the table.

I started with a piece of linen that was 53" wide including the selvage and 50" long.
It is an odd size to purchase, but it was the end of the bolt so I took what was left.
I had thought I would use the linen for a different project where I would have had a strip left over and what would I do with that?


Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner


I had enough to make 6-17.5" square napkins plus a 15" x 35" table runner.

The napkins were a little smaller than I usually like, but they're okay.

I knew that if I frayed the edges I would lose less material than if I hemmed the edges.

I pre-washed the fabric and then dried in the dryer.

I ripped both the bottom and top edges of the fabric so that the fabric would be even to start.  

Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner

Linen frays easily, so I decided to sew a very fine zig-zag stitch about 3/8" from the edge, all around.

By sewing around the napkins, I knew that they wouldn't fray further in the wash.


Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner


This is a closer picture of the zig-zag stitching.



Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner


Some of the frays are a little longer than others.  They can be trimmed or just left, as I have done.


Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner


I like the oatmeal colour.  It goes with so many things.  I also think that the frayed edges are much less formal than hemmed napkins.
I am not very good at making mitred corners, so this was good for me.



Make Linen Napkins & A Table Runner


The linen is a nice weight which makes the napkins look more rustic.  It is not handkerchief linen.



This is an easy project.  Stitching is the most time-consuming part.  Pulling threads on linen is pretty easy and can be done in good time.



This is an original Fair Meadow Place publication.


Thanks for stopping by.





Barbara




Post Script

You can find us on PINTERESTFACEBOOKGOOGLE +

We love to hear from you so please leave your comments below.




We are unable to respond to anonymous comments due to Spam.



6 comments :

  1. I am SO not a good sewer! (Seamstress? Stitcher? Sewer sounds bad!) But I love these -- the simplicity and the loveliness of them, especially with your dishes. A wonderful and very useful project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The greatest part of making your own napkins is you can make them as big as you want. This simple napkins are elegant and I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sewing is so neat and I love the neutral colour of Linen

    ReplyDelete

Although we love hearing from our readers, we are unable to open or respond to Annonymous Comments due to SPAM.