February 01, 2017

A Valentine's Day Rag Wreath Tutorial

fairmeadowplace.blogpot.ca

Today, I have a Rag Wreath to try.


If you have never tried making one of these wreaths before, they are really quite simple.  They require more time than some other wreaths, but I like the results.


fairmeadowplace.blogspot.com

I started with three pieces of coordinating fabric and a coat hanger.

I cut the hanger and removed the hook part and then reshaped the wire into a heart shape.  Then I  joined the two ends together.

This gives me a form and something to tie the fabric onto.


fairmeadowplace.blogspot.com


Electrical tape was used to wrap the join.


fairmeadowplace.blogpot.com


A lot of cotton printed fabric is printed on one side only.

For this project, cotton Batik was used because the fabric is printed right through on both sides, as demonstrated in the picture above..  There is little difference between the right and wrong side of the fabric.



fairmeadowplace.blogspot.com
Cutting 2.5cm (1") strips


I had determined that I wanted fabric strips for tieing onto the wire to be about 23 cm (9").  I left the fabric folded while I was cutting.

With a cutting mat and rotary cutter, I cut a 23 cm (9 inch) strip off the bottom of the fabric, from one selvage edge to the other.

I then cut 2.5 cm (1") strips.  I ended up with 132 - 2.5cm by 23cm or (1-inch by 9-inch) strips in total, from all three pieces of fabric.  I had a few left over when I was finished.


fairmeadowplace.com


I tried looping the strips of fabric over the wire and then pulling the ends through.  Then I tied the ends to secure them and it seemed to work well.  You could also just tie them on with a knot.

Alternate the fabric patterns around the wire form.


fairmeadowplace.blogspot.com


Once the form was completely covered I added a brown satin bow and hung a key and rose charm.

It's ready to go.




fairmeadowplace.blogspot.com


I like the way it looks on the Chocolate Brown wall in the front entrance.


Thanks for stopping by.


Subscribe and leave comments below.






TIPS: 
 If you want a fluffier wreath, cut the strips shorter.  You could try 15cm or 20cm (6" or 8").

 You could also make the wreath one colour, maybe white or red.  I think it would look very nice in a monochromatic colour scheme.


We are sharing with....
Happiness is Homemade
Funtastic Friday

4 comments :

  1. Barbara,
    Your valentine wreath looks great, and your instructions are so helpful. Thanks for sharing at Monday Social.

    Welcome to the blogging world. We hope you will join Monday Social every week.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Judith. I am looking forward to sharing my posts with you.

      Delete
  2. Barbara,
    Your valentine rag wreath is one of this week's features on Monday Social.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith,

    I am thrilled to have been chosen as one of this week's features on Monday Social. Thank you for hosting this Link Party. It is a holiday here today, as it is in the U.S. I would have responded earlier, but I was away for the weekend.

    Once again, thank you.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Although we love hearing from our readers, we are unable to open or respond to Annonymous Comments due to SPAM.